Ways to Keep your Home Office Organised…………
- Declutter the space – Stuff accumulates on desks, tables and chairs. You ate in your office and now have a bottle of hot sauce sitting on the chair next to you, begging to be taken to the kitchen. You haven’t sorted out the mail. Your files have piled up on the floor and there is some loose change under the monitor. Declutter that desk and wipe it down. Add a fresh scent to the room by vacuuming the floor.
- Keep what you use close – Put the supplies that you use within reach. This includes calculators and pens, notepads and paper clips. Do not leave it on top of your desk, use the drawer. When you need to have something, it is right there. You do not have to leave your desk to find those important supplies.
- Keep a trash can near your desk – Remove the temptation to keep junk mail by keeping a trash can at your desk. If you know that you don’t need something, immediately throw it away instead of stuffing it into a desk drawer. Eliminate accumulated boxes. Don’t forget to regularly empty the trash can.
- Install a whiteboard – Dry erase boards eliminate the clutter of sticky notes. You can put reminders to yourself on the wall and in clear view. Keep track of upcoming events and to-do lists with your whiteboard. Clear items on your board as soon as they are completed.
- Remove personal items from the business – You have cleared your home office space, now it’s time to remove the personal items. Even though you are going to the next room, you are going to work. When you go to work, you should have personal things to remind you of home, but the space should be separate. This will encourage you to perform only work functions within your business. If you have only one computer, designate break times to do your personal business.
- Throw out trash – Sort your files and throw out the unnecessary items. Do you need to keep that year old reference material? Would you prefer to have everything on your computer? You are closer to organization with every bit of space you free. Less trash means that there is less stuff to go through when you are looking for something.
SHARE THE KNOWLEDGE